Wednesday, November 13, 2013

PINK saves Christmas!


My first holiday season post-split sucked big giant donkeys. I realize this isn’t a commonly used phrase, but in an effort to curb profanity, we’ll just say it sucked donkeys…

I moved out on Halloween (talk about scary). Thanksgiving and Christmas were creeping up on me, and I had no idea how I was gonna pull it together… especially with two little ones running around the house, asking when we were going back to Daddy’s (did I mention my desire to give authentic TRUTH during my blog posts?).


While I had brief glimmers of hope life would go on, even the simplest of things sent me over the edge. Above all, I dreaded opening the boxes labeled Christmas. Ornaments, stockings, and memories were a surefire recipe for the mother-load of nervous breakdowns.


So I did what any woman in preventative nervous breakdown mode does…I went shopping. At Target. Shocking, I know.


My mom did an incredible job of making the holidays a magical time (hello, she named me HOLIDAY), and I felt I owed it to my kids to do the same.  

I was going to save Christmas!


During my Target extravaganza, I made the executive decision to ditch the traditional red and green for hot pink, turquoise, purple and anything with glitter.


The result? We’ve had a PINK Christmas for the last two years. 


 As I look back on that time, I realize I was in survival mode. Reflecting on old traditions was too painful, so I made new ones. The girls and I hung our sparkly, glitter, fluorescent stockings with pride, and the tree was perfect. For us.


“They” say it takes about two years to recover from the shock and grief of a divorce. I guess they’re right, because I’m finally ready to open the boxes. We’re going back to red and green this year, and I couldn’t be happier {bonus…it gave me the perfect excuse for a trip to Pottery Barn!}


Cheers to new traditions!
xoxo Holiday :)

1 comment:

  1. Two years is a moment in a lifetime, glad to hear you are Ok with the red and green once again!

    ReplyDelete